Is your Domain Secure?
In the reviews we perform for businesses, more often than not, we come across concerns associated with the contact and registrant information on domains. If you can think of a domain name having the same value as your house it will make my analogy easier. So you have purchased a beautiful home for your family and have invested a significant amount of time and money into the purchase. Would you have the title of your new home registered in your realtor's name? Likely not. So I ask you, WHY do you do it with your domain name(s)?
Here are some of the things I uncover when reviewing domain name registrations:
- The domain name is registered to the web design company.
- The domain name is registered to an old staff member that bought the name for you 10 years ago.
- You bought the business a few years ago, but the domain name is still registered to the previous owner.
- The domain name is registered to you, but the email address is your old shaw address that you rarely check.
- The technical, billing and administrative contact details are out of date or worse have the wrong people listed on them.
Domain names have huge value. The name takes customers to your website, manages your email addresses, it is on your billboards, vehicle wraps, business cards, brochures, and your radio ads. It is possibly linked in 3,000 online directories. Can you really risk losing such a valuable piece of property?
Take the time once a year to take an inventory of your domain name(s). Make sure you have them in one location or multiple locations, but ensure you have all of the login details somewhere secure. Make sure to leave instructions to someone in the company with instructions as to the whereabouts of these access codes in the event you are not reachable.
If you have any questions about the value of domain name registrations or anything else website related, please feel free to contact me directly.
This article was written by Nikki Csek, founder of DotCom Media, WelcometoKelowna.com and Csek Creative. Nikki is based in the beautiful city of Kelowna and has over 14 years of experience in the web design - online marketing arena.
You can contact Nikki by calling 250.862.8010 or toll free at 1 866.862.8010. Email at Nikki@CsekCreative.com